Pages

Tuesday 12 July 2016

Day One... Winter Learning Journey Part Two

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Ancient Map of Greece.jpg
Olympia was an ancient city in the country of Greece. The ancient city of Olympia was the site of the first ever Olympic Games. There were event such as, running, boxing, wrestling, discus throwing, pankration, horse and chariot races, and the pentathlon. The came to an end in 393 which would have been thousands of year ago.


C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Wrestling image.jpg
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Boxing gloves (ancient games).jpgWrestling is a sport or activity of grappling with an opponent and trying to throw or hold them down on the ground, typically according to a code of rules, similar to traditional wrestling but it ended when one of the athletes admitted defeat and quit. Wrestling to me is fun because I like to body slam my dad my mum.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Javelin (statue).jpgBoxing in the 393 Olympics is similar to the boxing matches that we see today however, instead of boxing gloves, the athletes had long strips of leather wrapped around their hands. If I was in a boxing match wearing leather strips around my hands then I would need to put my hands in a bowl ice to help my sore hands. I do boxing every Saturday with my mum at the Strength Tech gym.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\No Girls Allowed Sign.jpgPentathlon is an event where athletes had to compete in five separate activities such as running, long jump, discus, javelin and wrestling. Javelin is a sport where an athlete throws a long sword-like spear as far as they can. Discus is similar to javelin but, instead of throwing a spear, the athlete throws a flat disc. I'm pretty sure discus was almost like playing fetch with a frisbee.

During the ancient Olympic Games, men were allowed to compete in the events but women were not. In fact, women were often forbidden from even watching the games. To me this sounds terrible to be honest, it's unfair and if men got to go why didn't women get to go! In the comments below tell me your honest opinion about "No Girls Allowed" rule and what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    Thanks for your open and honest comments about the 'No Girls Allowed' rule. Like you, I believe that it is an unfair rule. I feel that both girls and boys should have the same opportunity to participate in the Olympic games. Fortunately, our modern day Olympic committee agrees with us and they have openly invited women to participate in the games for over 100 years. Thank goodness!

    I am a huge fan of both the men's and women's events at the Olympics and would be very upset if women were actively excluded from our current athletic competitions. Can you imagine an Olympic games without women like Lydia Ko and Valerie Adams competing? I couldn't! I know that I will make the time to watch both of these women participate in the upcoming Rio games. They are due to start on 5 August.

    Will you have the chance to watch any of the Olympic coverage, Jessica? I hope so!

    Keep up the great work! I'll look forward to reading our post for 'Day Two' as soon as you're to do it.

    Cheers, Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica!

    Willy here. For this post, I liked how you managed to put your images on the same place as the words - I used to always struggle to do that sometimes because my images would appear in the wrong place instead of just the left of the wording. I also like the way you described each Olympic event from the olden day Olympics. Did you do a bit of research for each event? Or was this previous knowledge?

    Otherwise, great work. Keep it up!

    -Willy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Willy,

    For each event I did some research on my laptop and I found some pretty old books about the Olympics, I also got some help from my Mum and Nana. I had to write notes and had to find out what some of the words meant.

    - Jessica

    ReplyDelete